Beyond the Label 2.0
Beyond the Label (BTL) is a nation-wide movement started in 2018 by National Council of Social Service (NCSS) which focuses on addressing stigma and promoting social inclusion for persons with mental health conditions (PMHCs).
Led by NCSS and TOUCH Community Services, the agencies under the BTL Collective will work in partnership with stakeholders in the mental health ecosystem to acheive objectives such as:
- Raise awareness of stigma and advocate for greater support for persons with mental health conditions;
- Educate and equip the public with peer support skills that help them interact and support persons with mental health conditions;
- Implement workplace adjustments to support persons with mental health conditions better; and
- Encourage those who need help to seek help early.
List of BTL Collective Members
- National Council of Social Service
- TOUCH Community Services
- Agency for Integrated Care
- AMKFSC Community Services Limited
- Campus PSY
- Care Corner Singapore
- CARE Singapore
- Community Health Assessment Team
- Facebook Singapore Pte Ltd
- Health Promotion Board
- Institute of Mental Health
- MINDSET Care Limited (Jardine MINDSET)
- Ministry of Education
- Nanyang Technological University
- Republic Polytechnic
- Resilience Collective
- Samaritans of Singapore
- SG Enable
- SHINE Children & Youth Services
- Silver Ribbon
- Singapore Anglican Community Services
- Singapore Association for Mental Health
- Singapore Children's Society
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Stellar Lifestyle Pte Ltd
- Temasek Polytechnic
Stand Together for Mental Health and Unite Against Mental Health Stigma
In the latest campaign, we would like to encourage everyone to go-beyond mental health conversations, to take action and to actively reach out to people who may need help or individuals to take steps to address self-stigma.
Through a targeted approach to engage different groups, BTL’s focus will be on Campaign
- promotion of awareness and acceptance of persons with mental health conditions (PMHCs); Community
- equipping workplaces, schools and families in the community with resources to demonstrate resilience; and Care
- enabling in the form of intervention and integration in neighbourhoods.
If you or your organisation would like to be part of the BTL Collective, do approach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
to find out more!
About Beyond the Label
Beyond the Label is a movement to address stigma faced by persons with mental health conditions in society. According to the Singapore Mental Health Study 2016, one in seven adults have experienced a mental health condition in their lifetime. More
than three-quarters of people with a mental health condition in their lifetime did not seek any professional help.
Stigma towards Persons with Mental Health Conditions
The Quality of Life Study
by NCSS found that persons with mental health conditions have a significantly
lower quality of life than the general population. Seven in 10 persons with mental health conditions face challenges living with dignity because of the negative attitudes and actions of others.
The study on Public Attitudes towards Persons with Mental Health Conditions by NCSS revealed that the public has many misperceptions about persons with mental health conditions. Fear and the lack of understanding, coupled with stereotype
knowledge and the influence of media, contribute to the issue of deep-seated stigma that is prevalent in society.