I'm interested in a career in
I'm interested in a career in
The Special Education Teacher works with children aged 7 and above that have moderate to severe special educational needs. As a Special Education Teacher, you ensure the holistic development of your students and help them unleash their full potential, by enabling each student to be independent, self-supporting and contributing members of society.
- Employ appropriate educational strategies and techniques to ensure the holistic development of each student.
- Develop and implement personalised curricula for each student, according to their age, abilities, and needs.
- Administer various forms of assessment to evaluate each student's progress.
- Engage and work closely with parents and the school community to help every student reach their full potential.
- Prepare indoor and outdoor areas for learning and recreational activities.
- Assist children with intellectual, physical, behavioural and other learning difficulties with their studies.
- Provide individual assistance to children in the learning of social skills.
- Prepare teaching resources including lesson plans, activities and learning aids.
- Facilitate progressive opportunities for job shadowing, or school/community/industry-based work experiences for students before they graduate.
- Accompany students on their work experiences and provide on-site skills training to help them acquire essential soft as well as job skills.
- Conduct assessments of students’ interests, preferences and strengths, to facilitate good job matches.
- Work closely with teachers, families, community partners and employers in supporting students to be work ready.
|To be a/an||Minimum
|Special Education Teacher (Trained)||• Diploma in Special Education (DISE at NIE)
• All registered teachers are required to attend the DISE
|NIE - Diploma in Special Education (DISE)|
|Special Education Teacher (Untrained)||Local Academic Qualification
• 2 ‘A’ /H2 Level passes and 2 ‘AO’ /H1 Level passes (including General Paper or Knowledge Inquiry) ; or
• Recognised full-time Diploma from: Local Polytechnics or Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) or LASALLE College of the Arts; or
• Good overall International Baccalaureate Diploma score
Foreign Academic Qualification
• Bachelor / Master in Special Education (SPED) or have taken SPED modules during their course of study and
• Course of study should include Practicum Teaching component in SPED and
• Transcript to show competence in English if degree is not conducted in English.
• Temasek Polytechnic’s Diploma in Early Childhood Studies
• Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s Diploma in Child Psychology & Early Education
• Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s Diploma in Early Childhood Education
|Special Education Teacher Assistant||• Local Diploma or:
• Two 'A'/H2 Level passes and two 'AO'/H1 Level passes (including General Paper or KI) or:
• An international Baccalaureate Diploma
|• SSI’s Certificate in Education Studies (Special Education)
• Professional Conversion Programme available for Special Education Apprentice Teacher.
|Job Coach||• Minimum 'O' Levels
• With prior experience as a vocational coach in the social service sector
|• Autism Resource Centre’s Certificate in Autism (Job Coaching) - Certification program is only for those working with individuals with autism.
• SSI’s Advanced Certificate in Supported Employment (ACSE) – programme is meant for in-service professionals who work as disability training officers and coaches.
• SSI’s Diploma of Community Services - programme is meant for in-service professionals who work as disability training officers and coaches.
|Prior experience in vocational training preferred.|
- Special Education Schools
- Day Activity Centres