I'm interested in a career in
I'm interested in a career in
The Special Education schools provide customised and well-developed support for students with moderate to severe special educational needs. These schools serve students between the ages of 7 and 18 (or up to 21 for students pursuing national academic or vocational certification). As a Special Education Teacher, you will guide these students to work towards maximising their potential to lead independent and meaningful lives.
- Design and customise teaching and learning to support these children and youths in collaboration with their families and community agencies.
- Receive training and grow in your craft as a SPED teacher.
- Work closely with allied professionals and teacher aides to provide quality educational experiences for students.
- Assist the Special Education Teachers to provide quality educational experiences for students, such as creating a conducive learning environment, preparing and producing learning materials, and assisting students in carrying out instructions and activities.
- Receive training and grow in your craft as a Special Education Teacher Aide.
- Facilitate progressive opportunities for job shadowing, or school/community/industry-based work experiences for students before they graduate.
- Accompany students on their work experiences and provide on-site skills training to help them acquire essential soft as well as job skills.
- Conduct assessments of students’ interests, preferences and strengths, to facilitate good job matches.
- Work closely with teachers, families, community partners and employers in supporting students to be work ready.
|To be a/an||Minimum
|Special Education Teacher (Trained)||• Diploma in Special Education (DISE) offered by the National Institute of Education (NIE)
Visit the MOE website for more information, including professional development and career tracks for Special Education Teachers: https://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/become-teachers/sped-teacher/professional-development
|Special Education Teacher (Untrained)||
Local A-Level or diploma
• Polytechnic diploma
• Diploma from Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA)
• International Baccalaueate (IB) diploma
• Any other equivalent or relee
|Special Education Teacher Assistant||• Local Diploma or:
• Two 'A'/H2 Level passes and two 'AO'/H1 Level passes (including General Paper or KI) or:
• An international Baccalaureate Diploma
|Job Coach||• Minimum 'O' Levels
• With prior experience as a vocational coach in the social service sector
|• Autism Resource Centre’s Certificate in Autism (Job Coaching) - Certification program is only for those working with individuals with autism.
• SSI’s Advanced Certificate in Supported Employment (ACSE) – programme is meant for in-service professionals who work as disability training officers and coaches.
• SSI’s Diploma of Community Services - programme is meant for in-service professionals who work as disability training officers and coaches.
|Prior experience in vocational training preferred.|
- Special Education Schools