BTL Mental Health Songwriting Competition
15 Sep 2021
Thank you for registering your interest! Beyond the Label’s Mental Health Songwriting Competition is not just a competition, but a way to build a supportive and loving community of individuals passionate about music and open to sharing their mental health journey. Express your mental health journey and experiences through music, judged by music industry hitmakers Martin Tang and Zac Zhang who have worked with artistes such as A-Mei, Stefanie Sun and JJ Lin.
- No age limits, any Singapore Citizen, Singapore PR or foreigner with a valid student or work visa or long-term visiting pass in Singapore is free to participate!
- Songwriters may choose to submit an entry individually or submit as a group. In the event where the entry is a collaboration, please select 1 representative to submit the entry.
- All content submitted should be original pieces, comprising original melody and original lyrics. Songwriter(s) can choose to perform and record the song via a video link or WAV format. File size should not be bigger than 10MB. Hard-copy submissions will not be accepted.
- Songwriter(s) may choose to sing the song or get someone else to sing it, but do indicate the name of the singer(s) in the registration form. Kindly note that for the winning entry, only the songwriter(s) will receive the certificate of appreciation and prize.
- Songs should be written and sang in English.
- The duration of song should not exceed 5 minutes.
- Kindly submit your entries by 29 Oct 2021 (Fri), 2359 Hrs.
- Competition fee: FREE
- Submit an original song that tells of your mental health journey or how you have journeyed and supported a loved one with mental health conditions! The competition takes place in the form of an online submission. All entries should be submitted by the songwriters themselves.
- The song will be judged based on its lyrics, melody, song structure, arrangement, as well as overall performance, connection to the song and relation to mental health.
- Outstanding songwriters will be awarded a Distinction certificate. From the songwriters awarded with Distinction, ONE winner will be selected. All songwriters who submit an entry will receive a certificate of participation.
- The winner will receive prizes and a chance to have their song professionally produced with Martin Tang and Zac Zhang.
- The winning song will be shared on the Beyond the Label social platforms.
Songs will be judged by music industry hitmakers Martin Tang and Zac Zhang. For more details on our judges, please click here.
- CREATIVITY/ORIGINALITY (40%)
Does the entry display a certain level of originality in the idea? The entry should display uniqueness and be able to convey a clear idea, message or thought in an imaginative way through their lens and performance.
- LYRICS (30%)
Does the entry have readily understandable, cohesive and fresh lyrics? The entry should express the songwriter's mental health journey or how he/she journeyed and supported a loved one with mental health conditions. How has the idea behind the song and themes explored been portrayed through the lyrics? How compelling are the lyrics? Lyrics should share the songwriters inner feelings and also be able to appeal to the masses
- OVERALL TECHNICAL QUALITY (30%)
Has the entry been executed with different elements of songwriting such as structure, melody, dynamics, contrast, catchy-hook, poetic literary, prosody, and resolution? What was the overall effect of the entry for the intended target audience? Does the execution captivate and engage the audience? Is there a clear link between the final product and the initial concept?
|Mr Martin Tang|
Prominent Singapore music producer and songwriter, Martin Tang has worked with almost every major recording label in the region, producing and arranging songs for well-known artistes such as Jacky Cheung, SHE, JJ Lin, Mayday, and Super Junior.
A three-time winner of the coveted “Golden Melody Award”, the Chinese music industry’s highest accolade and Grammy equivalent, Martin Tang was recognised for his work on albums by Stefanie Sun, JJ Lin and A*Mei.
Mr Zac Zhang
Zac Zhang is no stranger to the music community. He is an established songwriter who has written for international artistes from Sony Music, Warner Music, Universal Music, HIM International, Ocean Butterflies International and many more. He is also the lyricist behind countless hit by JJ Lin’s such as 凍結、翅膀, 豆浆油条, and 当你, 会有那么一天, 圣所.
Do note that there have been some changes to the dates below
|From 26 Sep (Sun)||Call to register|
|11 Oct (Mon) - 29 Oct (Fri)||Submission of entries|
|19 Nov 2021 (Fri)||Announcement of winner|
TERMS & CONDITIONS
By registering and submitting an entry for the competition, the songwriter(s) declare(s), acknowledge(s) and agree(s) that:
- The song submitted should be related to the songwriter(s)' mental health journey or how he/she/they had journeyed and supported a loved one with mental health conditions.
- All personal details submitted must be accurate and complete with verification made available upon request.
- The Beyond the Label team reserves the right to disqualify incomplete, inaccurate or ineligible entries. Beyond the Label will not accept responsibility for entries lost, undelivered, delayed or damaged.
- Personal information, including, and without limitation to the songwriter’s name, age, mobile number and/or email address will be used solely for the Beyond the Label Mental Health Competition and will not be disseminated without permission of the songwriter(s). Songwriters who have granted permission to disclose his/her personal information to a third party, absolves Beyond the Label from any responsibilities in relation to the disclosure of such information.
- Contents of the entry submitted for the competition must be original works belonging to the respective songwriter(s)' name(s) as stated in the submission entry.
- Songwriter(s) may choose to sing the song or get someone else to sing it. Prizes will go to the songwriter(s), not singer(s).
- Beyond the Label reserves the right to remove and disqualify any entries which breach the copyright of any existing literary or musical works under the Singapore Copyright Act.
- Beyond the Label reserves all right to terminate/modify/amend the competition Rules and Regulations, at its sole and absolute discretion. Any such amendments and modifications shall be notified via the Beyond the Label Mental Health Competition event page. Any modifications will take immediate effect.
- Songwriters grant Beyond the Label permission to use their names, photos, submitted song(s), audios, music and any other relevant information that the songwriter provided for marketing and promotional efforts of this competition without further notice and compensation.
Let the writing begin! #BeyondtheLabel #StopTheStigma #TogetherAgainstStigma #TogetherWeCanOvercome